Lilypie
Lilypie

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sacramento

So Ashley's comment a couple posts ago reminded me that I need to offer a little update on my life. I haven't done this because things are still so up in the air with so many things, but we have been able to figure out a couple of things, so here goes.

After a lot of thought, consideration and prayer about the job thing, Bryce and I both knew that it would be best for everyone (especially Isaac) if I stayed home to be his mom. The trouble was that we still knew that one income just wouldn't work. I continued to look for and interview for positions, hoping that the right thing would finally come along. I wanted to somehow get an offer that I felt great about, even though it would mean Isaac going to day care. Not necessarily a money thing, just a good fit.....

I actually wound up with a few offers. That almost sounds snobby. I don't mean to sound that way. I know there are a lot of people who have a hard time getting a job. But, its true. I got a few offers, and they were pretty good. I just didn't get a good feeling about any of them though. Neither did Bryce. The last offer I got, I actually did feel good about. I liked the company, the pay, and most importantly, the co-workers. Everything seemed to fit, and although I still didn't feel good about leaving Isaac (who would feel good about that?), I think I finally felt ready and that this was the offer I was waiting for. At the same time though, my father in-law called with an offer from his company that would allow me to work PT from home doing HR/Benefits/payroll for his company. That is the ideal situation. I am so lucky to have this opportunity to help my family with extra income and still take care of my son. It was a little hard to turn down the other offer, but I think I made the right choice.

There will be more adjustments to be made in the months to come. We will almost certainly be moving to a smaller more affordable place closer to Bryce's work, and probably looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle. We have made a lot of sacrifices, and there will be more to come, but I think that we are headed in the right direction.

So, last week Isaac and I went to Sacramento so that I could spend some time in the office getting set up for my new position, and Isaac could spend some time with his Grandparents and his Aunt Jennie. We had a wonderful time. Isaac had some mommy issues as this was his first time really being away from me for more than a 3 hour stretch. He did great with Grandma all day, but when I would get home in the afternoon, he did not want to let me out of his sight. He is doing better now that we are home, but I think separation anxiety is just something we will be dealing with for the next few months as part of his age.

Isaac Playing with Aunt Jennie. We loved going on walks with her every night!
Grandma Barnett has the best toys!


Isaac got to open some birthday gifts from Grandma and Grandpa Barnett early. He especially loved his new books. As you can see, he is also a proud Jazz fan. It is required of all family members. On this particular day, he was supporting D-Will in an at-home victory over the Lakers. Isaac is disappointed that the Jazz are out of the playoffs, but he is already focusing on next season.

3 comments:

Dan and Ashley said...

What cute pictures of Isaac Erin!! He is so handsome! Seriously, he and Cal really really do remind me of each other so much. Okay, not because he's handsome....hahah.....that sounded really snotty, but they really do have similar features/looks, something. I sure hope they get to meet each other someday. :) Thanks for giving us an update on your life too. I'm sorry you guys are going through so much change right now, that is always tough. We're feeling the strings tightening some too with going down to one income. But being home with Cal means so much to me so whatever sacrifices we have to make, so be it. I'm so glad you are able to do the same. I'm so happy for you. Good luck with your new job, sounds awesome!!! Keep us posted on everything, its so fun to hear about your lives. Miss you guys!

Unknown said...

DWill Issac and I all sat down and had a good chat about what changes need to be made next season. Issac may have come down a bit hard on porr DWill, DWill said it was stern but fair.

shelley said...

i'm so proud of you for finding a solution that allows you to stay home - and even prouder that you are willing to make changes in your life that will let you do that. i have an lds friend who is pregnant with her first baby is planning on going back to work after she has the baby. i know women do it, and it's not the end of the world if they do, but she wants to stay home with her little girl and feels like she "has" to work. but if they would live in a more affordable home and cut out some other luxuries in their life, they might be able to swing it. i try hard not to judge though, b/c michael and i don't always make the best financial decisions, but the point is, not every woman who feels like she "has" to work really has to, and if you're willing to make the right kind of sacrifices, you can do what you want - be the one to raise your child! good luck with all the changes and continue to feel good about your decision. it will help when those purse strings start to feel really tight.